Health and fitness professionals are often asked about nutrition by their clients. This online course covers both the science of nutrition and the practical application to everyday life. You will learn about public health tools that allow you to assess general dietary practices. After successfully completing this course you will be able to give dietary guidance that is ethical and accurate based on public policies and years of research at The Cooper Institute.
Prefer live learning, consider Providing Dietary Guidance Live.
Read student testimonies about this course.
- Session 1: Scope of Practice
- Session 2: Principles of Nutrition
- Session 3: Energy Metabolism
- Session 4: Nutrition and Disease
- Session 5: Dietary Recommendations
- Session 6: Issues in Weight Management
- Session 7: Popular Diets: A Reality Check
- Session 8: Sports Nutrition
- Session 9: Dietary Review and Guidance
- Session 10: Environmental Influences on Dietary Choices
- Summary and Review
- Course Test
- Handouts and Tips included for downloading and printing
Contact Hours: 18
This is a self-study, self-paced course that includes case studies and activities. This course builds your knowledge through each session and then you will learn how to apply what you have learned. Each session starts and ends with a short quiz. First, take the quiz and then begin learning the information in that session. Some sessions:
- Contain slide presentations.
- Require that you follow links to other information available on the Internet.
- Contain learning activities that will help you to use and apply the information learned.
To earn a Cooper Institute certificate of achievement you will need to score 70% or better on the end-of-course test. The test questions are based on the learning objectives for each session.
You have 90 days from the purchase date to complete your self-paced study and take the end-of-course test. You will be able to login and get started upon completion of registration.
Requirements for Your Computer
- Any operating system
- Any modern web browser such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari, and Opera. This includes the latest version and one version back.
- Cookies Enabled
- Flash Player 10.1 and higher - You can get the latest Flash Player here
This text is a useful resource for both during and after the course but is not required to successfully complete the course. It is the recommended reference tool after completing the course.
American Dietetic Association Complete Food and Nutrition Guide
Continuing Education Credits:
The Cooper Institute is a pre-approved CEC provider for the following organizations.
American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)
Texas Education Agency (TEA)
Once you have completed the online Providing Dietary Guidance course you are eligible for a 50% discount off the online Weight Management Leadership course. Please call (800) 635-7050 to ask a Program Coordinator for details.