Your time. Your location.
The Cooper Institute has captured the best of both learning worlds by blending self-paced content along with instructor-led sessions. We realize that not everyone is able to take time out of their schedules and come to our campus in Dallas, Texas for hands-on instruction. That’s why we created a way for you to have The Cooper Experience – at your own pace and your location.
Our personal training education is based upon fundamental scientific research. And this course should provide you with the knowledge base that’s needed in your preparation for The Cooper Institute Certified Personal Trainer (CI-CPT) credential.
For more information about The Cooper Institute Certified Personal Trainer (CI-CPT) certification exam click here.
Watch Video to Meet Our Instructors
Read student testimonies about this course.
Course Content and Topics
Course Study Guide: click here.
Session 1: The Need for the Health and Fitness Professional
- Physical Fitness and Wellness
- Role of the Health and Fitness Professional
Session 2: Scientific Foundations
- Exercise Physiology
Session 3: Client Fitness Screening and Assessment
- Risk Factor Identification
- Medical Screening
- Safe Exercise Practices
- Fitness Assessments
Session 4: Behavior Change and Goal Setting
Session 5: Designing Safe and Effective Training Programs
- Flexibility Training Principles and Program Design
- Resistance Training Principles and Program Design
- Cardiovascular Training Principles and Program Design
Session 6: Professionalism and Business Principles
Session 7: Putting It All Together: Case Study
- Anatomy In Action
- Energy Systems
- Max Testing
- How To’s of Flexibility Programming
- How To’s of Resistance Programming
- How To’s of Cardiovascular Programming
Case Studies, Discussion Boards, and Instructor Contact
Materials: In the online course you will have access to a downloadable course text and specific sections for each topic within the course.
Contact Hours: 33
To earn a Cooper Institute certificate of education completion you will be required to score at least 70 on an end of course test. This test is not the same as the CI-CPT Certification Examination and is used to award continuing education credit only.
Course Timelines and Specifics
- You should be able to login and start the course upon completion of registration.
- Discussion board are helpful to learn and apply the course information, but are not mandatory.
- You have 90 days from the purchase date to access the course content and instructor sessions.
Requirements for Your Computer
- Any operating system
- Any modern web browser such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari, and Opera. This includes the latest version and one version back.
- Cookies Enabled
- Flash Player 10.1 and higher - You can get the latest Flash Player here
Reference text is available for download and printing within the course content. A preprinted bindered copy of Principles of Health and Fitness manual is available here.
Continuing Education Credits:
The Cooper Institute is a pre-approved CEC provider for the following organizations.
American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)
Texas Education Agency (TEA)