The goal of the Weight Management Leadership course is to increase the health and fitness professional’s ability to guide adult clients in realizing their weight management goals through evidence-based, effective one-on-one consulting and/or program development.
In this course you will learn about the three keys to weight management. Successful weight management - which includes the actions of not gaining weight, losing weight, and keeping lost weight off – is a blending of the three keys in a combination that is unique for each person. By learning about these main components of weight management, health and fitness professionals are equipped to work with individuals interested in managing their weight for a lifetime.
- Session 1: Weight Management Overview
- Session 2: Physiology of Weight Management
- Session 3: Nutrition Principles for Weight Management
- Session 4: Physical Activity Principles for Weight Management
- Session 5: The Power of Popular Culture
- Session 6: Coaching Clients on Weight Management
- Session 7: Weight Management Practicum
- Summary and Review
- Course Test
- Handouts and Tips included for downloading and printing
Contact Hours: 15
This is a self-study, self-paced course with activities and case studies. This course builds your knowledge through each session and then you will learn how to apply what you have learned. Each session starts and ends with a short quiz. First, take the quiz and then begin learning the information in that session. Some sessions:
- Contain slide presentations.
- Require that you follow links to other information available on the Internet.
- Contain learning activities that will help you to use and apply the information learned.
The "pre" and especially the "post" quizzes in each session are there to help you identify areas which may require more in-depth study on your part. They do not count toward passing the course.
To earn a Cooper Institute certificate of achievement you will need to score 70% or better on the end-of-course test. The test questions are based on the learning objectives for each session.
You have 90 days from the purchase date to complete your self-paced study and take the end-of-course test. You should be able to login and get started upon completion of registration.
Requirements for Your Computer
- Any operating system
- Any modern web browser such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari, and Opera. This includes the latest version and one version back.
- Cookies Enabled
- Flash Player 10.1 and higher - You can get the latest Flash Player here
This text is a useful resource for both during and after the course but is note required to successfully complete the course. It is the recommended reference tool after completing the course.
American Dietetic Association Complete Food and Nutrition Guide
Continuing Education Credits:
The Cooper Institute is a pre-approved CEC provider for the following organizations.
American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)
Texas Education Agency (TEA)
If you have completed the online Providing Dietary Guidance course you are eligible for a 50% discount on the online Weight Management Leadership course. Please call (800) 635-7050 to ask a Program Coordinator for details.